Friday, June 26, 2009

Prepping for the Draft


Several news points to cover in this entry.

First: SERGEI FEDEROV HAS SIGNED WITH THE KHL.
That depresses me. I remember Feds back in the glory days of the Red Wings, when Yzerman and Shanahan were still there. I wasn't his biggest fan, but I did like him, and he'll be missed. His agent says that the move is to fulfill his father's lifelong dream of watching both his sons play together (as signing with Metallurg reunites him with his brother.) It's a good reasoning, that's for sure. But he'll be missed.

Second: ALL THE TRADE RUMOURS
I don't know what to believe, and I try not to look at rumours until they become fact. It all just gets too confusing. For instance, TSN has been told by a "reliable source" that Boston may trade Kessel to Toronto for Kaberle and a pick. That'd be one hell of a move if it happens.

Third: FREE AGENCY LOOMING
My relationship with free agency is a complicated one. Most of the time, it's been tragic. But it could be good... maybe. The Sabres have quite a few guys to sign, and of course Regier says he's working towards deals. Well... maybe he should start working HARDER.

---
- OMG just saw a super young Marc Crawford (from his Nordiques days) on NHL Network.
- Draft (and draft party) today! I'm excited. Tavares or Hedman? I think they're both great players and wherever they end up, they'll succeed. DRAFT PARTYYYY ftw.

In honor of Draft Day, I'd like to wind back time. 11 years ago tomorrow, the NHL draft of 1998 was held in Buffalo, NY, at what was then called "Marine Midland Arena." I was there. It was amazing. If my scanner worked, I could scan in pictures I have of the event, but it's not working right now. I MET VINCENT LECAVALIER at the pre-draft events. They had the top prospects sitting at tables, signing stuff. I have a pennant from that day with various signatures on it, some of which are not legible. But I also have a signed Lecavalier Team Canada card, which I got signed on that day. *swoon*

No comments:

Post a Comment